Thursday, June 12, 2008

As donors disappear, cyclone survivors fend for themselves

As private donors disappear from cyclone-affected areas of the Irrawaddy delta, residents of Bogalay, one of the hardest-hit towns in the disaster zone, say that they are struggling to rebuild their homes by themselves.

Many residents said that they were using old materials to repair or rebuild their homes, despite an abundant supply of new materials available in local shops and at the homes of businessmen and members of the Township Peace and Development Council.

‘When I went to buy corrugated zinc sheets to cover my roof, they [township authorities] sold it to me for 780 kyat (US $0.68) per foot,’ said Wa Yint, a local resident.

‘I have to rebuild my house using old zinc sheets. But for parts of my house that were badly damaged, I needed some new sheets,’ he added.

--Read More: here

No comments: